Sunday, February 24, 2008

Different environment


I really enjoyed making this piece. I bought the large stone at a fabulous bead store in Milwaukee (crazy lace agate, probably enhanced with bright pink dye). One of these places where you walk in and are just dazzled by the beads of every shape, size and color and covering every possible surface imaginable. This place had gallery lighting, so everything sparkled and shimmered. And the colors just looked amazing. Two hundred dollars later, I was finally able to walk out of the store....but I didn't want to!

On my long train ride back to Kansas, I could hardly wait to break into the new beads. So I took the supplies I had brought along on the trip, and the new goodies and went to the "observation" car. This is a car completely encased in glass so you can see everything. It has a section of sociably arranged swivel chairs and little coffee tables, and a section of booths like they have at restaurants.

I grabbed a booth and went to work. I made several pretty pieces while I was on the train. One lady even bought a piece I had just finished and set aside. The change of environment and a few new materials really gave me a great charge. I have another trip to Milwaukee soon, only this time by plane to O'Hare and then a bus to Milwaukee. I am taking my supplies. We'll see what I come up with next!

No comments: